Sunday, June 12, 2005

Inca Trail

Well I survived...just
The Inca trail is a four day hike to Machu Pichu climbing over passes 4,200 metres high in the Andes. It was originally designed as a sacred pilgramage of healing and cleansing by the Inca's. Although it was'nt designed for the plebs as you had to ask the permission of the king himself in order to go. So only nobles important warriors and people considered worthy spent the year treking to Machu Pichu, stopping off at Inca sites on the way, bathing and cleansing themselves in preparation for Machu Pichu.
I however suffered a stomach bug a week before hand. So after climbing 4,200 metres on the second day my body descided to shut down. I managed to make my way to base camp and fall into my tent. Then regular trips to the tiolet ensued every half an hour. I stopped eating and survived on rehydration salts and some careful attention from my guide and cook. However the last and final day some drugs kicked in and stemmed the flow and I managed to enjoy Machu Pichu. It was truly the most beatutiful location for a fascinating Inca town sitting right at the heart of the spectacular Andes. There are lots of theories about the purpose of the place but one thing is clear that it was a secret place for the elite of Inca society. Home also to many dwarfs, as Inca's believed they had special powers, along with witches and the like. It was also an important place of astronomy, with plenty of star gazing. As it was located at the edge of the Inca frontier close to the jungle it was thought that Machu Pichu was a base to launch an attack on the jungle tribes and expand the empire.
The Inca trail is the most spectacular trek you could hope to do, although not for the faint hearted!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home